Thursday, February 14, 2013

Where in the World is the Amazing Race Going This Season?


Though I’ve been watching The Amazing Race since I was a kid, I must admit that I’ve missed a few seasons here and there.  My interest in the race was strongly renewed when I ran into the show’s host, Phil Keoghan, during my last trip to New York.  He told me he was filming a documentary on the Tour de France (in Brooklyn??).  He was absolutely delightful and 100% engaging – I literally bounded away from our conversation giggling and clapping my hands together like a schoolgirl.  With the advent of my blog coinciding so nicely with the show’s 22nd season premier, I am taking the opportunity to do a little homage (see stalkerish picture, above) to the race and its hunky host. 

Even after 21 seasons of the Amazing Race, there are many locales the show has yet to explore, as well as some old standbys that haven’t been visited in awhile.  Diehard fans know that the show has already released the locations for five of the filming sites (indicated with an * in the list below).  It’s my mission to fill in the gaps.  

Starting line:  Los Angeles, California*

1st stop:  Bora Bora* 

2nd stop:  New Zealand*

3rd stop:  Chiang Rai, Thailand:  The race has gone to Northern Thailand before, but not since season 2 when they visited Chiang Mai.

4th stop:  Botswana*

5th stop:  Albania:  In more recent seasons, the producers have gradually been sprinkling Eastern European destinations into the race itineraries.  They’ve never been to Albania, and the country has become a tourism hotspot in recent years.

6th stop:  Bernese Highlands, Switzerland*

7th stop:  Madrid, Spain:  Fun fact - the race has NEVER been to Madrid!  This is especially surprising, given that the city’s airport is a major European transportation hub.  I’m predicting a Spanish stopover in season 22!

8th stop:  Lima, Peru:  The race has only been to Peru once, and that was way back in season 7.

9th stop:  Nicaragua:  The race has never been to Nicaragua, but has visited nearby Costa Rica and Panama.

Finish line:  New Orleans, Louisiana:  This is a completely random guess.  I must have Mardi Gras on the mind.

Now I want to hear from you!  Where do you think the lucky contestants will travel to this season?